Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Mutant Algorithm

Shoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is here
Computer couldn't complete updates

******* thing has been doing this for months. It goes through the cycle and fails regularly. I've tried running the troubleshooter which didn't help. Some of the online suggestions seemed to have a completely different set of menus and options to me. It's just Windows 10. Any ideas please?
Old 11-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Try installing the updates individually.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Mutant Algorithm

Shoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is hereShoreditch CPFC Sam the man is here
Thanks I'll try and figure out how to do that and revert
Old 11-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Maybe It’s Maybelline?

Scrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
Try installing the updates individually.
I don't think you can pick and choose updates. At least not in Windows 10. That option was removed. I think you have to take all updates available and go through the automatic install process.

I think you can only "pause" updates for a max of 35 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreditch CPFC View Post
Thanks I'll try and figure out how to do that and revert
Maybe try the fixes in To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumpy View Post
I don't think you can pick and choose updates. At least not in Windows 10. That option was removed. I think you have to take all updates available and go through the automatic install process.

Good point. There is a way round it though.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-11-2020, 02:55 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
I had this last year when a major update hung and I could not update anything for for a large part of that year. I tried everything in google including treying to roll back updates or system restore also registry edits to clear the updates, Nothing worked do I just decided it was time for a refresh, saved all my work and collected passwords and serial numbers of my paid for programs a went for a re-install. This can be done from within Windows and leaves you at a point where you have fresh install of Windows but without most of the grief of loading a copy onto a new machine as quite a few settings were saved. Solved the update issue and the PC flies. I now tend to keep a leaner machine and probably do this again in the future just to clear junk or corrupt OS files.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:40 AM
Fay Wray

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Google the code that it displays.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Mutant Algorithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumpy View Post

Thanks. This is ******* painful. I thought a few of these had worked but to no avail. Option 6 downloaded an updated version of windows direct from Microsoft. All looked fine, took forever to install and then when the pc rebooted it said couldn't install updates again and it was all undone. Option 7 actually worked a bit where you can download individual updates if you have the KB number but some of the failed updates don't have them (current one just says Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909).

It looks like there is an option to reinstall windows and keep your files intact. Can I really be confident that I won't lose files if I do this?
Old 12-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Mutant Algorithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
Google the code that it displays.
it just says windows failed to install the updates.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:16 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Back everything up and reinstall Windoze. Even if it says it won't destroy your data, back everything up that you want to keep because if it goes Pete Tong half way through you may end with a goosed filesystem and have to start over anyway.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:59 PM
Mutant Algorithm

**** me I only managed it eventually. It was a combination of a few things. I downloaded the updated windows version with the external link and then turned my firewall off and installed with the internet off. Since then the updates have worked and I'm up to date. I've lost so much time, but at least the ****** is working now. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:15 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
When I turned on my PC this morning I could not wake the PIN entry screen. Eventually I turned the computer off manually and then back on.

It went into this whole updating Windows routine, which took at least 20 minutes. I had fears I was going to encounter the same problems as the thread starter.

Got through it OK, but I hate the fact it does these updates without asking. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that gives you the option to be asked first.

For all its faults, at least Apple only updates its iOS when you give it the OK to do so.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Fay Wray

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
When I turned on my PC this morning I could not wake the PIN entry screen. Eventually I turned the computer off manually and then back on.

It went into this whole updating Windows routine, which took at least 20 minutes. I had fears I was going to encounter the same problems as the thread starter.

Got through it OK, but I hate the fact it does these updates without asking. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that gives you the option to be asked first.

For all its faults, at least Apple only updates its iOS when you give it the OK to do so.
I can only read that as if it is a haiku.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:19 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
I can only read that as if it is a haiku.
I have poetic license...
Old 13-11-2020, 11:02 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I have poetic license...
Windows is garbage,
slow, bloated, and expensive:
Use Linux instead.
Old 13-11-2020, 03:23 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateauferret View Post
Windows is garbage,
Use Linux instead.
Old 13-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chateauferret View Post
Windows is garbage,
Use Linux instead.
Easier said than done, even for those with a modicum of computer knowledge
Old 13-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Noot! Noot!

FORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is here
Fierce morning rising
Start>Settings>WindowsUpdate
Cherry bollocks
Old 14-11-2020, 01:25 PM

speagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I use clonezilla to take an image of my hard disk once in a while. If you get into a state you zap it back to what it was previously.

strongly advise taking additional copies of data before doing anything though. don't just rely on clonezilla in case it fails in some way.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:54 PM

Oldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
After Windows 10 update, my pc keeps presenting a black screen, sometimes for a few seconds or up to a min. I have tried various key combinations and restarting per google suggestions, nothing works. Connected over wifi not lead. Help please.