Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 24-05-2021, 08:11 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
The NBA Thread Part Deux (2021 onwards)

Good morning chaps and chapesses,

Thought after years and years of the NBA thread start some years ago going a bit stale I would start up a new thread commencing with the 2021/22 season (well and the 2021 Draft Lottery and Draft), try and drum up a bit of interest like we used to have when there was a good solid core of posters we used to have on there.

I will try to be a lot more active like I used to be too with news and score up dates, I might even bring back my predictions and see how that goes once I become more familiar with each teams rosters again. Anyone posting if you could put your favourite team in the thread just for reference that would also be handy. Also... Also also, would there be any interest in an NBA Fantasy League? We used to do one in the past and it went sort of OK until people tailed off, it would certainly be something I would look into setting up if we get good numbers. If it ends up being myself and like two other people then I probably wouldn't bother, but it would be nice to get a decent level of chat and so on about the NBA going on, on the BBS again.

So I will start off with the blatantly obvious...

Latvian Eagle - Orlando Magic.
Old 24-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
EagleSE24 Chicago Bulls

Not a glory hunter. I lived in Chicago as a kid. First year there was the first three peat. Big fan of 90s basketball. What an era that was.
Old 24-05-2021, 08:27 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
EagleSE24 Chicago Bulls

Not a glory hunter. I lived in Chicago as a kid. First year there was the first three peat. Big fan of 90s basketball. What an era that was.
It was definitely where I think a lot of people started to get involved in the UK. I became an Orlando Magic fan purely by chance that my sister went to Florida for her honeymoon and they brought me back an Orlando Magic pennant. As it turns out it happened to be when the Magic were on the verge of becoming good with Shaq, Penny, Horace Grant etc.

I did have a spell in the wilderness but them when I got back into the NBA again it seemed to be when we had the builds of another decent team in Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis etc.

Always try to keep an eye on how the Magic have been doing, but the last ten years or so for the most part have been a real grind at times. The future is looking bright though, we are building a decent young core of players, and hopefully we land a top 3 or 4 pick in the Draft this year to further push the team on. I don't think we are far off of being a play off team with the right pieces, and a little luck with injuries which we didn't have in 20/21.

Draft Lottery is 22nd June, with the actual NBA Draft due to take place on 29th July 2021.
Old 24-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Baller!!!

In the 2021 Draft, realistically there is only one guy who is even considered by anyone to be the Overall #1 pick and that is Oklahoma State's Cade Cunningham. It looks like whoever gets that pick regardless of whether they have a decent PG already will take him. A tall PG who can also play the SG or SF positions he is going to be the centre piece of any organisation that takes him come July, all eyes on June 22nd, whoever gets that number 1 pick will surely already be planning their FA moves around that pick as it is a lock.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

After that the next almost lock (although not quite!) is Evan Mobley a 7ft Center from USC. Some say Mobley has as much right to be considered the number 1 pick as Cade, but I think number 2 could depend on team needs more than Mobley's ability. A decent player on both ends of the floor, I'm not sold on him personally for the Magic mainly because I think he is too wiry and I like my big men more in that Shaq / Howard mould, but certainly teams will be getting a very good player here.

Next up is basically a toss up of what teams need, two players of very similar standing and stature in Jalen Suggs out of Gonzaga or Jalen Green who has played for the G League Ignite this season. I have to say my early feeling when we were in the cusp of probably being too far out for a top 3 pick was probably Green as he is a bit of a scoring machine and he has spent this season getting NBA ready playing as a high standard. A scoring SG who will bolster teams numbers nightly, would probably go to a team who already have their PG of the future. Suggs on the other hand has grown on me, and is the player if we don't get Cade that I hope we go for. A PG/SG he would slot effortlessly into the Magic team as he can cover Fultz and Anthony at the point if needed, but is more likely the long term successor to Terrence Ross at the 2. Both really interesting players, but I've been swayed from one to the other in recent months.
To view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or Login

Those four are almost certainly going to be the top 4 Lottery picks, but there is one other name that has been bandied about that might sneak in, again based on team needs more than anything and that is Jonathan Kuminga, a 6ft6in Small Forward who has also been playing for the G League Ignite... This is definitely a Guard heavy Draft, so if a team sneaks in to the top 4 and already has their PG/SGs we might see Congo born JK sneak in on the outside.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Obviously until the Lottery on 22nd June we won't know the exact order of picks but based on the 2020/21 season record at the moment the order is as follows:

1. Houston Rockets
2. Detroit Pistons
3. Orlando Magic
4. Cleveland Cavaliers
‐---------------------‐---------------------‐---------------------‐---------------------
5. Oklahoma City Thunder
6. Golden State Warriors (via Minnesota Timberwolves, pick would be delayed if it falls in the top 3)
7. Toronto Raptors
8. New Orleans Pelicans
9. Sacraments Kings
10. Orlando Magic (via Chicago Bulls, if this pick falls in the top 4 the Pick comes over in 2022 instead)
11. Charlotte Hornets
12. San Antonio Spurs
13. Indiana Pacers
14. Golden State Warriors
15. Washington Wizards
16. Boston Celtics
17. Memphis Grizzlies
18. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Miami Heat)
19. New York Knicks
20. Atlanta Hawks
21. New York Knicks (via Dallas Mavericks)
22. Houston Rockets (via Portland Trail Blazers)
23. Los Angeles Lakers
24. Houston Rockets (via Milwaukee Bucks)
25. LA Clippers
26. Denver Nuggets
27. Brooklyn Nets
28. Philadelphia 76ers
29. Phoenix Suns
30. Utah Jazz

Hopefully that gives some insight at least into the likely Lottery picks for this years NBA Draft.

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 24-05-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 24-05-2021, 09:17 AM
Baller!!!

As an aside there has been a lot been made of Cade Cunningham's comments recently about Orlando being his City. Of course the Draft Lottery is "random" but a few of our fans have gone a bit OTT excited about it, if any other team gets number 1 they aren't exactly going to hand him over. The lad is from Dallas, Tx, and went to Oklahoma State so he doesn't really have a direct link to the City of Orlando.
Old 24-05-2021, 10:48 PM
Baller!!!

Could be some interesting players up for Free Agency this Summer, here's some of the top ones to look out for.

• Kawhi Leonard (LA Clippers)
• Chris Paul (Phoenix Suns)
• DeMar DeRozan (San Antonio Spurs)
• Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors)
• Mike Conley Jr (Utah Jazz)
• Lonzo Ball (New Orleans Pelicans)
• Evan Fournier (Boston Celtics)
• Victor Oladipo (Miami Heat)
• Derrick Rose (New York Knicks)
• Serge Ibaka (LA Clippers)
• Andre Drummond (Los Angeles Lakers)
Old 25-05-2021, 07:32 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
Bulls could use a PG and there are a few there that would fit the bill. Ball and Lavine in the back court would be pretty good.
Old 30-07-2021, 07:18 AM
Baller!!!

So the only surprise is that Toronto took Scottie Barnes at 4, which handed us Jalen Suggs at 5. Result!!!

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 30-07-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 30-07-2021, 10:46 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
My name is VHA and my team is the Charlotte Hornets.

Apparently our draft went pretty well. We have a good starting team, but not enough depth to sustain multiple injuries, otherwise we would have been champions.

Need to sign a center in free agency.

Rumours of interest in Lonzo Ball, which would make it three of the Ball brothers on the roster.

Lamelo Ball won rookie of the year.
Old 30-07-2021, 10:52 AM
Baller!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
My name is VHA and my team is the Charlotte Hornets.

Apparently our draft went pretty well. We have a good starting team, but not enough depth to sustain multiple injuries, otherwise we would have been champions.

Need to sign a center in free agency.

Rumours of interest in Lonzo Ball, which would make it three of the Ball brothers on the roster.

Lamelo Ball won rookie of the year.
I watched the highlights of the Draft this morning. I can't remember who yiu drafted first round, I just remember the bloke looking proper pissed off. I think someone must have said something to him as he went up on stage as he started smiling after that.

Our second pick we chose Franz Wagner which is a bit of a let down and has a strong stench of nepotism given we already have his brother Mo playing for us.

Jonathan Kuminga who was slated top 5, possibly even into the top 4 only went 7th. Moses Moody and Jalen Johnson two who were tipped to be top 10 for ages along with Corey Kispert slid well outside of that range in the end. Moody ended up going 14th (Warriors), Kispert 15th (Wizards) and Jalen Johnson 20th (Hawks).

Oh it was James Bouknight (said Book-night, I was expecting Boo-night) who the Hornets drafted, heard he could be something special too, he at one point was being talked up as top 4 but dropped down as the draft approached.
Old 30-07-2021, 10:56 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
It's actually quite common for brothers to play on the same teams in the NBA, and I understand it's seen as quite a positive, even if to only get the best out of the 'better' player
Old 30-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Dikgacoi... Zaha oh yesss

jono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
jono cp 76ers
Old 30-07-2021, 11:08 AM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono cp View Post
jono cp 76ers
Thoughts on the Ben Simmons implosion in the playoffs?
Old 30-07-2021, 11:16 AM

DHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for youDHeagle is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
I watched the highlights of the Draft this morning. I can't remember who yiu drafted first round, I just remember the bloke looking proper pissed off. I think someone must have said something to him as he went up on stage as he started smiling after that.

Our second pick we chose Franz Wagner which is a bit of a let down and has a strong stench of nepotism given we already have his brother Mo playing for us.

Jonathan Kuminga who was slated top 5, possibly even into the top 4 only went 7th. Moses Moody and Jalen Johnson two who were tipped to be top 10 for ages along with Corey Kispert slid well outside of that range in the end. Moody ended up going 14th (Warriors), Kispert 15th (Wizards) and Jalen Johnson 20th (Hawks).

Oh it was James Bouknight (said Book-night, I was expecting Boo-night) who the Hornets drafted, heard he could be something special too, he at one point was being talked up as top 4 but dropped down as the draft approached.
DHeagle, also a Magic fan!

That pronunciation of Bouknight has to be an American thing, right?

The draft as a whole was a big mess outside of the top four (or top three, as it turned out). Initially that made the Magic picking at number 5 look like quite poor value, since there was seemingly so little between the fifth-best to twentieth-best players. But with the Raptors reaching for Barnes at four, we're possibly the biggest winner in the draft relative to what we'd have expected going in.

Hornets did have a good draft. Bouknight was expected to go top ten and Kai Jones supposedly has outrageous upside, although quite a low floor.

Warriors had a good draft getting Kuminga and Moody at 7 and 14 - a lot of Magic fans wanted to take those two at 5 and 8!
Old 30-07-2021, 11:39 AM
Baller!!!

Yeah I forgot Charlotte had two picks. Raptors done us a huge favour as most Magic fans seemed totally against Barnes so we lucked out a bit. The general feeling the last few days was Moody and Kuminga or Kuminga and Bouknight, the fact we got Suggs basically trumps either of those scenarios though I'd rather have taken Moody or Bouknight over Wagner I have to be totally honest.

As for the name... I'm not sure but when the commissioner said it I was like, Booknight really?! Not sure about Ben Simmons, seen loads of criticism really but been mainly concentrating on baseball lately so it just pops up from time to time.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:50 AM
Dikgacoi... Zaha oh yesss

jono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejono cp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Thoughts on the Ben Simmons implosion in the playoffs?
being my favourite player very sad, and now we're looking to trade him even more sad
Old Today, 11:37 AM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Yeah I forgot Charlotte had two picks. Raptors done us a huge favour as most Magic fans seemed totally against Barnes so we lucked out a bit. The general feeling the last few days was Moody and Kuminga or Kuminga and Bouknight, the fact we got Suggs basically trumps either of those scenarios though I'd rather have taken Moody or Bouknight over Wagner I have to be totally honest.

As for the name... I'm not sure but when the commissioner said it I was like, Booknight really?! Not sure about Ben Simmons, seen loads of criticism really but been mainly concentrating on baseball lately so it just pops up from time to time.
Charlotte didn't have a second round pick initially, they traded a future first rounder for New York's pick.