Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 11-06-2021, 06:00 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
The City of Croydon?

I see there's going to be a competition for towns to be awarded City status to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee. I think I'm right that Croydon went for this last time round - but was unsuccessful (with Brighton & Hove and Newport being awarded City status iirc). Will Croydon go for it again? Should Croydon go for it again? Does anyone care?

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 11-06-2021, 06:35 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I see there's going to be a competition for towns to be awarded City status to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee. I think I'm right that Croydon went for this last time round - but was unsuccessful (with Brighton & Hove and Newport being awarded City status iirc). Will Croydon go for it again? Should Croydon go for it again? Does anyone care?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
It would be hugely embarrassing if they did.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:40 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Is there any material benefit?

Would it make a difference if it was geographically contiguous with a larger, established city?
Old 11-06-2021, 07:14 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Croydon always goes for this at every opportunity. I don't know why they bother - clearly being within Greater London is a huge disadvantage, and quite frankly, there's nothing at all remarkable about Croydon. (Well, not in a good way.) The place is a dump, and going downhill. Quite why the council imagine it's the sort of poster boy of success to celebrate a royal anniversary is beyond me.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Croydon always goes for this at every opportunity. I don't know why they bother - clearly being within Greater London is a huge disadvantage, and quite frankly, there's nothing at all remarkable about Croydon. (Well, not in a good way.) The place is a dump, and going downhill. Quite why the council imagine it's the sort of poster boy of success to celebrate a royal anniversary is beyond me.
This is just tosh. Parts of Croydon are a dump and parts are fabulous (just like many other places).

Certainly bankruptcy won't help it climb uphill, I grant you.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-06-2021, 07:45 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
This is just tosh. Parts of Croydon are a dump and parts are fabulous (just like many other places).

Certainly bankruptcy won't help it climb uphill, I grant you.
Which parts are fabulous? And - pertinently for this thread - which of those fabulous parts aren't targeted for systematic destruction by the council's planning objectives?
Old 11-06-2021, 07:47 AM
Incel slayer

mickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I wonder how much money Croydon Council have wasted on this over the years? Every few years it appears they're going for city status, but what tangible difference would it make?
Old 11-06-2021, 07:48 AM
Incel slayer

mickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmickymags came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
He says, without revealing where he lives. But I would hazard a guess that it's some soulless and sterile Surrey/Sussex village where everyone marries their cousin and has extra marital affairs with farmyard animals.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:49 AM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymags View Post
I wonder how much money Croydon Council have wasted on this over the years? Every few years it appears they're going for city status, but what tangible difference would it make?
I suppose what with them being totally bankrupt at the moment, at least they cannot waste any more money on it
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Which parts are fabulous? And - pertinently for this thread - which of those fabulous parts aren't targeted for systematic destruction by the council's planning objectives?
My guess is that many on here (not me) choose to live there, so perhaps they might better answer. Certainly calling a place where many have chosen to raise their children 'a dump' is not your finest hour.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-06-2021, 08:12 AM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
I wonder where Dangermouse lives?

Please don’t state the bleeding obvious.

Cricket wanker.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:28 AM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Which bits of Croydon borough would be part of a City of Croydon?
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:29 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Which bits of Croydon borough would be part of a City of Croydon?
Hopefully all around the Whitgift, or else they'll need to build yet another town hall.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-06-2021, 08:39 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
I was surprised to find that Guildford isn't a City - because it has a university and a cathedral, which I had always thought were the requirements, but I was wrong.

What is the point or advantage of becoming a city ?

I really don't see the point in making new cities. Like other areas of life, it is just title-inflation for no discernible benefit- classic woolly liberal thinking.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:47 AM
Ichiro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Hopefully all around the Whitgift, or else they'll need to build yet another town hall.
that wasn’t really what I was thinking.

I think everyone accepts that Croydon doesn’t have a great reputation. I think part of the issue is that Croydon and people who represent Croydon do not accentuate that which makes it unique, and without that accentuation people are always going to see it as another identikit outer London suburb. Almost every outer London suburb has certain identikit issues (you go to say Harrow town centre or Croydon town centre and it is all depressingly similar), it’s just some (or probably most) accentuate the bits that make their areas great better than Croydon does.

I should add I have no idea what makes Croydon unique now. I’ve lived away for a very long time now, but I doubt I would be looking to the south of the borough or the town centre to find it.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:53 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymags View Post
He says, without revealing where he lives. But I would hazard a guess that it's some soulless and sterile Surrey/Sussex village where everyone marries their cousin and has extra marital affairs with farmyard animals.
You think he's got problems...I live in a small village in Lincolnshire. Never mind extra-marital affairs with farmyard animals, half of them around here are married to them. They ride around on their massive vibrating tractors for a bit on the side.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:25 AM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
It would be hugely embarrassing if they did.
Says all that needs to be said on the subject.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:32 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I was surprised to find that Guildford isn't a City - because it has a university and a cathedral, which I had always thought were the requirements, but I was wrong.

What is the point or advantage of becoming a city ?

I really don't see the point in making new cities. Like other areas of life, it is just title-inflation for no discernible benefit- classic woolly liberal thinking.
I thought Guildford had been given city status
Old 11-06-2021, 10:34 AM
Semper Idem

Nah

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Yet weirdly their football team call themselves Guildford City.