Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 29-09-2021, 11:21 AM

Dave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Smart Meters

Sorry for being thick but I had a smart meter fitted yesterday. The fitter gave us a unit to plug in so we can view the meter reads etc. Problem - the plug on this unit is smaller than the conventional plug socket. So what do I have to do; buy another display to plug this unit in so it will work? If so, where do I get the second unit?

Confused of Worthing.
Old 29-09-2021, 11:41 AM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGregor View Post
Sorry for being thick but I had a smart meter fitted yesterday. The fitter gave us a unit to plug in so we can view the meter reads etc. Problem - the plug on this unit is smaller than the conventional plug socket. So what do I have to do; buy another display to plug this unit in so it will work? If so, where do I get the second unit?

Confused of Worthing.
My smart meter remote display is just standard USB-A to USB micro. which part of yours is non standard? Have they given you a two pin wall socket as it should have at least come supplied with the right fitting at the unit end?
Old 29-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Dave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
My smart meter remote display is just standard USB-A to USB micro. which part of yours is non standard? Have they given you a two pin wall socket as it should have at least come supplied with the right fitting at the unit end?
Thanks. The unit they gave us has a regular looking plug socket; it's just that the two pins below the single pin are closer to it than on a conventional plug and so cannot be plugged in.
Old 29-09-2021, 11:53 AM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thanks. The unit they gave us has a regular looking plug socket; it's just that the two pins below the single pin are closer to it than on a conventional plug and so cannot be plugged in.
Some usb wall adapters have space saving wall plugs where the top single pin pulls out and upwards to move to the correct size, Samsung and Huawei adapters do this for their portability but I would find it strange to need this on a standard plug?

Last edited by LN1; 29-09-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 29-09-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
Some usb wall adapters have space saving wall plugs where the top single pin pulls out and upwards to move to the correct size, Samsung and Huawei adapters do this for their portability but I would find it strange to need this on a standard plug?

Thanks. I reckon you've cracked it for me as the plug in the picture looks exactly like the one I have. Good old BBS to the rescue!
Old 29-09-2021, 06:13 PM

strawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is herestrawberry mivi Sam the man is here
Shame.
I was hoping this was going to be a thread where we discuss how soon the electricity companies turn off peoples supply because they can't maintain the generation levels because of the gas shortage.
Old 29-09-2021, 06:46 PM

Eagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry mivi View Post
Shame.
I was hoping this was going to be a thread where we discuss how soon the electricity companies turn off peoples supply because they can't maintain the generation levels because of the gas shortage.
A smart meter can't do this, don't worry.
Old 29-09-2021, 06:51 PM

Since 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is hereSince 1968 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thanks. I reckon you've cracked it for me as the plug in the picture looks exactly like the one I have. Good old BBS to the rescue!
Not worth plugging it in. Smart meters are a waste of time, had only installed at NPowers insistance. Could read the meter for 5 months, just as Eon took over, never worked since. Eon then decided to hike ny payments by 50%, after a long and frank conversation, it was agreed to reinstate my old payments until they can prove to me any readings.
Still not working, they never bothered to contact me again, that was 4 months ago.
Old 29-09-2021, 07:04 PM

Eagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1968 View Post
Not worth plugging it in. Smart meters are a waste of time, had only installed at NPowers insistance. Could read the meter for 5 months, just as Eon took over, never worked since. Eon then decided to hike ny payments by 50%, after a long and frank conversation, it was agreed to reinstate my old payments until they can prove to me any readings.
Still not working, they never bothered to contact me again, that was 4 months ago.
Your meter will start working again within the next 12 months and then you'll be able to switch supplier without losing the connection. Mind you, there'll only be about 7 or 8 suppliers to choose from.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:53 AM

Norwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is here
The lack of Smart Meters available is depressing. Unless I wanted to pay through the roof (even more so) and go with one of the big companies the smaller providers who were offering the best prices just do not have a model of providing the meters.

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 08-10-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle View Post
The lack of Smart Meters available is depressing. Unless I wanted to pay through the roof (even more so) and go with one of the big companies the smaller providers who were offering the best prices just do not have a model of providing the meters.
Which energy supplier are you with?
Old 08-10-2021, 09:41 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
I thought the whole point was you didn't have to provide readings to the supplier?

Breathin deep, breathin easy...

Didnít vote for a Brexit.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:42 AM

Norwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle's Nest View Post
Which energy supplier are you with?
Pure Planet

Old 08-10-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Pure Planet
They seem to be pretty active, but you're in the same position I was with Octopus last year. You've got to be ready to pounce when they're active in your area because the slots go very quickly.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:56 AM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Pure Planet
I'm also with Pure Planet and they were badgering me about fitting a smart meter earlier on in the year, but I said I didn't want one.

Why do you want one?

What benefit do you think you'll get from having one? Are you going to see how much energy you use in real time?

I do my two PP meter readings every month, when requested and send them through the app.

My fixed tariff runs out in mid October and I'll be on their standard tariff, which indicates that I'll currently be paying less that the cap. There's nothing better o the market to improve opn it, so although I'll be paying more, not as much as some will.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillo View Post
I'm also with Pure Planet and they were badgering me about fitting a smart meter earlier on in the year, but I said I didn't want one.

Why do you want one?

What benefit do you think you'll get from having one? Are you going to see how much energy you use in real time?

I do my two PP meter readings every month, when requested and send them through the app.

My fixed tariff runs out in mid October and I'll be on their standard tariff, which indicates that I'll currently be paying less that the cap. There's nothing better o the market to improve opn it, so although I'll be paying more, not as much as some will.
Well there are a few individual things re. a better choice of tariff options in the future, the ability to see where we might need to change our energy usage to save money and what not.

There is also the bigger issue that if everyone in the country had a smart meter and acted accordingly "live" it would reduce consumption by 25%

Old 08-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well there are a few individual things re. a better choice of tariff options in the future, the ability to see where we might need to change our energy usage to save money and what not.

There is also the bigger issue that if everyone in the country had a smart meter and acted accordingly "live" it would reduce consumption by 25%
Not sure what the evidence for better choice of tariff is for people on smart meters; I'd be interested in seeing that.

I already believe I have a fair idea of where the energy goes in my house and am tackling things like - low loft insulation, few TRVs on radiators and no double glazing, so am doing those things already (they were listed in the EPC when we bought the house).

I still cannot really see what a 'smart' meter gives a consumer, as opposed to the data it gives the supplier.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Not sure what the evidence for better choice of tariff is for people on smart meters; I'd be interested in seeing that.

I already believe I have a fair idea of where the energy goes in my house and am tackling things like - low loft insulation, few TRVs on radiators and no double glazing, so am doing those things already (they were listed in the EPC when we bought the house).

I still cannot really see what a 'smart' meter gives a consumer, as opposed to the data it gives the supplier.
Which? released an article in the Summer that said that British Gas, EDF, Eon, nPower and Scottish Power all offer their lowest tariffs specifically for Smart Meter users and the average duel-fuel energy saving was something like £300 a year plus whatever you save from making the adjustments.

You are right that you can easily do some research and make educated guesses on where to make improvements. A meter itself just gives you the numbers to turn that educated guess into a more tangible result.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the price for non-smart meter tariffs will go up because the regulators are going to start penalising suppliers for not using the meters. So to encourage the suppliers to roll them out to customers the only thing they really can do is to make it financially prohibitive to not have one.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:16 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Have they stopped fitting the meters incorrectly and causing house fires yet?
That's why I was put off.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:18 PM
Lurker

sirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is heresirdougie Sam the man is here
Quote:

Why do you want one?

Our smart meter was really useful for seeing what things in our house are high energy users. Somethings were no surprise (kettle, toaster etc.), but we soon realised that some of our lights were using huge amounts of power and were able to change them. The smart meter also just sends your monthly readings to Pure Planet automatically - so much easier.