Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 10-11-2021, 05:04 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
CPFC Bird watching (and general nature thread)

As it says on the tin, following on from the things that make you happy thread.

*This is a tit pun free zone*

Last edited by Terrace Bickle; 10-11-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:14 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Obviously a tame barn owl from a display at Africa Alive where we visited for my son's birthday. The staff member said that barn owls are no longer on the red list, which I was very surprised at. As they still seem to be a very rare sight.

This appears to concur. Is this mainly down to farmers being more sympathetic?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 10-11-2021, 06:17 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockhouse View Post
Had a woodcock (or a snipe maybe) in the garden this weekend. Never seen one in the wild let alone in semi suburban Hertfordshire ��
There's a big old difference between snipe and woodcock, not least in their behaviour. Woodcock normally sit stock still imagining no one can see them if they don't move, or explode into the air like vertical cannonballs.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:31 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I'm going to use this thread to help me identify the birds I see round my place.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:34 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
I'm going to use this thread to help me identify the birds I see round my place.
Assuming this isn't a single-entendre, are you near MŠlaga?
Old 10-11-2021, 07:06 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
There's a big old difference between snipe and woodcock, not least in their behaviour. Woodcock normally sit stock still imagining no one can see them if they don't move, or explode into the air like, vertical cannonballs.
Woodcock are a true enigma as far as I’m concerned. I love seeing them roding along woodland rides on a summer’s evening and I genuinely believe they can and do carry their chicks away from a disturbed nest despite never seeing it happen. The fact that they appear odourless to working dogs who struggle to find them when shot just adds to their mystery.

I also enjoy eating them, but these days I restrict my appetite until the first fall in Autumn when I can be pretty certain it will be a migrant from Eastern Europe where numbers are still strong, and then it’s only a single brace in any year.

Before anyone lays into me for killing two woodcock a year to eat, I’ve paid for approaching 12 acres of my land to become ideal wet woodland for woodcock and a similar area, of puddled pasture, to encourage snipe.

I’m still sure plenty on here think I’m an utter **** for eating them.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:11 PM

stange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstange555 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Today finished with a male and female Black Cap just before it got dark. That was nice.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:23 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Iím still sure plenty on here think Iím an utter **** for eating them.
That's not the reason.

Actually, the people up on Fair Isle do something similar and only eat autumnal European woodcock. Coincidentally, all the tourists who are interested in puffins and ridiculously-overpriced knitwear have f~cked off by then.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:27 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
That's not the reason.

Like I care.

Last edited by Blind_Eagle; 10-11-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:30 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I ate puffin - in Reykjavik. It was pretty decent.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:30 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Assuming this isn't a single-entendre, are you near MŠlaga?
It isnt any entendre, I live in the countryside and we have many interesting birds here, especially aswe have a river at the bottom of our garden.

Just the other day I shied a cat at the heron that visits occasionally trying to catch the fish in my pond.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:31 PM
Old School BBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Herman Herrraiderssssonn took Matt Jansen puffin hunting.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:34 PM
You looking at me?

Quote:
There's a big old difference between snipe and woodcock, not least in their behaviour. Woodcock normally sit stock still imagining no one can see them if they don't move, or explode into the air like vertical cannonballs.
I was in the scrape hide at Minsmere and a birder said they could see a snipe. I politely asked if they could tell me where as I'd never see one. The instructions were look at the large sand bar etc (unfortunately there were at least 8). I sat there for another 20mins scanning the scrape trying to see it.

Eventually a lady (who told me she'd moved up from Kent) got up to leave and whispered have you seen it yet? It was sitting on the sandbar directly in front of the hide not more than 10ft from me.
Bloody good camouflage TBF.

Talking to her about the potential destruction Sizewell C would cause she said there had also been a rush of local farmers selling land to developers, since the pandemic had increased demand for property in such lovely locations through the roof.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:35 PM
Dis-Member

Quote:
Iíve shot and eaten Puffin in Iceland, I thought it tasted like fishy liver.

Never again on both counts.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:36 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stange555 View Post
Today finished with a male and female Black Cap just before it got dark. That was nice.
Very nice indeed. In ye olden times blackcaps were pretty much only summer visitors to the UK, and they buggered off south when it got chilly. Nowadays you get them all year round (I think due to the amount of food put out), but the wintering population are from central & eastern Europe. I've only ever seen garden blackcaps in the cooler months.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:41 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
It isnt any entendre, I live in the countryside and we have many interesting birds here, especially aswe have a river at the bottom of our garden.

Just the other day I shied a cat at the heron that visits occasionally trying to catch the fish in my pond.
Grey herons are super-common in my neck of the woods but I never get bored of them. Seeing one being chased by a herring gull outside Charing Cross hospital was quite something.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:41 PM
You looking at me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stange555 View Post
They seem to be one of the species getting more adept at using garden feeders and benefitting from it (and also migrating less due to warmer winters).

I know corvids aren't too popular, but I watched a crow spend more than 15mins trying and trying again to work out how to access food I'd tried to obstruct the wood pigeons from hoovering up. It was like a builder sizing up a job and got to the food in the end.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:42 PM
jft39

Quote:
You are so edgy you may as well be called Tony Parsons.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:44 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Iíve shot and eaten Puffin in Iceland, I thought it tasted like fishy liver.

Never again on both counts.
This was sort of smoked, we also had some sort of whale dish.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:46 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
You are so edgy you may as well be called Tony Parsons.
Donít be silly.