Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Old 25-05-2022, 10:37 AM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Sam Johnstone joins on four-year deal (see post 626)

Was having a quick flick through Skybet looking at transfer odds and noticed we are 1/2 favourites to sign Johnstone which seems surprising given there has been very little written on our interest and seemed like he was going to Spurs.

The most recent semi-credible article I could find was Alex Crook from Talksport saying we are interested.

Palace are also pursuing a deal for out-of-contract West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

His current odds according to Skybet:

Crystal Palace 1/2
Manchester united 4/1
West Ham 8/1
Middlesborough 10/1
Newcastle 12/1
Fulham 16/1
Leeds 16/1
Sheffield United 16/1
Tottenham 25/1
Old 25-05-2022, 10:45 AM

Liam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLiam_Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
A year ago I would have been all over that but not sure now. Had a poor season at WBA. Maybe just needs a change.

We could probably get a better goalkeeper but if we were to get Johnstone on a free it would free up the majority of our funds to go on midfield and striker...
Old 25-05-2022, 10:47 AM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Just after I posted this Evening Standard out with an article:

Crystal Palace eye Sam Johnstone deal after Tottenham switch focus to Fraser Forster in goalkeeper hunt

Crystal Palace are the latest club to express an interest in signing England goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.

Johnstone is a free agent this summer after West Brom confirmed on Tuesday that he would be leaving the club when his contract expires at the end of June.

The 29-year-old has been watched by several clubs, who have all been aware that he was unlikely to pen fresh terms at The Hawthorns.

Tottenham were one of those clubs tracking Johnstone as they aimed to sign a homegrown goalkeeper this summer, but have instead swooped for Southampton’s Fraser Forster.

Johnstone, who has been capped three times at senior level by England, is still attracting plenty of interest, however, and Crystal Palace are one of those teams tracking him.

The Eagles hold a long-term interest in the ‘keeper and first scouted him five years ago when he was deciding to leave Manchester United.

Johnstone spent a year on loan at Aston Villa before joining West Brom in the summer of 2018, but Palace have kept tabs on him since then.

Vicente Guaita is currently the Eagles’ No1, but Johnstone could come in and battle to be the Spaniard’s long-term successor.

Guaita, who turned 35 in January, is currently happy at Selhurst Park, though has revealed a desire to return to Spain one day.

“I’m very comfortable in the Premier League, it’s amazing how you live football here,” he told AS in April.

“I have less and less years left and I don’t know if I will have those years to be able to return to Spain.

“Speaking honestly, I would like to return to Valencia. I think I could have played for many years at Valencia.

“Being a Valencianista, leaving the club, how can I not want to return to Valencia?”

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 25-05-2022, 10:54 AM

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
First choice once Guaita goes?
Old 25-05-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 View Post
I think it would mean Guaita or Butland leaves this summer.
Old 25-05-2022, 11:13 AM

carter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is here
Thing with signing Johnstone is we don’t have a certain no1. Guaita, Butland & Johnstone would all be on a level playing field IMO. Not that it’s a bad thing but wouldn’t make much sense?
Old 25-05-2022, 11:18 AM

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
Sam Johnstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
I think it would mean Guaita or Butland leaves this summer.

Who would you have as your no1 if Guaita was to go? Id probably say Johnstone
Old 25-05-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Who would you have as your no1 if Guaita was to go? Id probably say Johnstone
I don't think Butland is good enough to be no.1 so I would imagine Johnstone but it's slightly worrying Spurs signed Fraser Forster instead of Johnstone.

I trust Dean Kiely though, Guaita and Butland have been excellent signings for the money.
Old 25-05-2022, 11:55 AM

Havel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowHavel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Guaita has already said hes staying
Old 25-05-2022, 11:55 AM

omph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineomph : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
I don't think Butland is good enough to be no.1 so I would imagine Johnstone but it's slightly worrying Spurs signed Fraser Forster instead of Johnstone.

I trust Dean Kiely though, Guaita and Butland have been excellent signings for the money.
Forster is a classic number 2 in PL terms and Johnstone won't go anywhere where he's unlikely to be number 1 and the keeper is the captain at Spurs.

Wouldn't mind much having Butland as number 1 here though there will be better options out there. He's clearly on the up from where he was when he came and has regained his confidence. Suspect that if he had an extended run in the side he would step up and gain more confidence from playing behind what is a solid defence.

Risk involved of course, Always the danger he'd go all Joe Hart and become a complete liability.
Old 25-05-2022, 12:54 PM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Thing with signing Johnstone is we dont have a certain no1. Guaita, Butland & Johnstone would all be on a level playing field IMO. Not that its a bad thing but wouldnt make much sense?
Guaita would be the certain no1.
Old 25-05-2022, 01:07 PM

Danny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havel View Post
Guaita has already said hes staying
Hope so.
Old 25-05-2022, 01:15 PM

glaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglaziers fan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
it may be a case that we sign Johnstone, and then see if he is good enough in training with Guaita as Number 1 but likely to move on in a year? If not we sign a new keeper next summer as well.
Old 25-05-2022, 01:27 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
But that would relegate JB to number three?
He's too good for that, imo. Can't see him sticking around, and is Johnstone so much better than him?
Old 25-05-2022, 01:36 PM
Glad All Over Forever

Stockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have to take opportunities when they come along. Maybe Johnstone would be better next summer, if that's when Guaita leaves - but he's a free agent now.

Guaita, Butland and Johnstone is certainly overkill, but presumably for one season. This time next year we'd presumably have Butland & Johnstone in whatever order. It may also be the case that PV has seen enough of Butland to be of the view he's NOT the Guiata successor as No.1 after all and we therefore need a new No.1....or maybe there's an opportunity for Guaita to return to Spain this summer, and we're happy to let it happen for free if we can get Johnstone in on a free too.
Old 25-05-2022, 01:40 PM

RPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRPM-D : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'd imagine it would replace Butland tbh if Guaita is staying. Many issue for Guaita is with his feet. If we signed a keeper on a free and then sold Butland for more than the 1m we supposedly paid for him then that would look good on the accounts as well.
Old 25-05-2022, 01:48 PM

sheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is here
I like Guita but most of the analytics suggest hes starting to drop off a bit in terms of shot stopping. While not a number one priority right now, its definitely something we need to look at in the next 12 months.

Would probably want to see is aim higher than Johnson though
Old 25-05-2022, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepy View Post
I like Guita but most of the analytics suggest hes starting to drop off a bit in terms of shot stopping. While not a number one priority right now, its definitely something we need to look at in the next 12 months.

Would probably want to see is aim higher than Johnson though
Yeah, I saw a statistical analysis comparing all PL keepers this season and Guaita was very near the bottom of the list.

I don't think I've watched Palace close enough this season to have a fixed opinion about his performances but even though he's definitely deserved to be our number 1, I still think it's a position we could probably improve.

Moreover, he is getting towards the end of his career so if a younger keeper we think could be our long term number one becomes available at a decent price, then I could understand the logic in the change.
Old 25-05-2022, 02:07 PM

Supersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSupersonic came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
would seem a strange signing as don't think he'd be good enough to take over from Guaita as number one, and Butland is a perfectly adequate number two ... Can only imagine if this does happen that either VG, or more likely Butland, will be out the door.
Old 25-05-2022, 02:22 PM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
I assume that IF we are interested in signing Johnstone then we must have been given an indication from Guaita that he intends to go back home. It would be a pity as this would have been a position we would not be wanting to lay out unecessary funds, eventhough he comes on a "free" but factor in signing on fees plus a fairly hefty weekly wage on a 3/4 yr contract, so probably a deal costing around 15m.
So would Sam Johnstone be a good buy for Palace? not sure, personally i feel if we could afford to bring in Pope then he would be my choice.