Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 25-07-2022, 05:33 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Solar Panel thread

As seen on the inflation thread there seems to be a huge difference between quotes and solutions. Any ideas, advice, prices, dos and don’ts appreciated

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 25-07-2022, 06:05 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
PM sent.
Old 25-07-2022, 06:21 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Avoid being tempted by lleasing without investigating fully all the information. Dome agreements will make selling the house extremely difficult some mortgage companies will not offer a mortgage on properties.
I know nothing about where to start to doet buying. Just that the property we recently moved into came with them. Been a great saving on electrcity. Ours is a small system with a battery. By using the washing machine ,dishwasher, and ekectric shower in daylight hours we have saved about half our electric bill. Remember selling back to the Grid is currently very little per Kwh around 5p but cost from is 28pKwh

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 25-07-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 25-08-2022, 01:34 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
We've got our solar panels being fitted on Monday 5th Sept.

One of the benefits I like that is included that I didn't know was a thing, is the fact that although we cannot use all the electricity we generate, the first call on excess electricity will be to heat the hot water tank (through a ?wireless connection to the the immersion heater).

So it will reduce our gas consumption, as we'll end up with using less (non-renewable) gas for hot water by using (renewable) electricity without having to do a thing.

I believe that it's also a more cost-effective use of the excess electricity than feeding it back into the grid and getting very little (now) on a feed-in tariff.

I can feel that pay-back period falling all the time.
Old 25-08-2022, 02:25 PM
Señor Coconut

Neil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I’ve had solar PV for 9 years and it paid for itself after 6. Now thinking of buying batteries to complement the panels but I’m hesitating to buy the ones I want a c. £10k . It’s calculated to save me about £1k per year but with rising energy prices savings will easily be more. Anyone had any experience with batteries?

cpfc4evandeva: maybe they're even more mental than Neil

Spindle: Neil is full of shit
Old 25-08-2022, 02:31 PM
Lead Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil 154 View Post
I’ve had solar PV for 9 years and it paid for itself after 6. Now thinking of buying batteries to complement the panels but I’m hesitating to buy the ones I want a c. £10k . It’s calculated to save me about £1k per year but with rising energy prices savings will easily be more. Anyone had any experience with batteries?
I was advised against buying a battery, as the company said 'we don't want to sell you something you then don't get good value from', which seemed fair enough to me.

They also said that a sort of cloud storage solution was being developed whereby excess electricity could be stored by your supplier and it then be netted off against your usage. Sounds good, but I'd like to see it first.

Apparently if you have an electric vehicle, having a battery is good for charging overnight ....... but I don't.
Old 25-08-2022, 02:56 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillo View Post
I was advised against buying a battery, as the company said 'we don't want to sell you something you then don't get good value from', which seemed fair enough to me.

They also said that a sort of cloud storage solution was being developed whereby excess electricity could be stored by your supplier and it then be netted off against your usage. Sounds good, but I'd like to see it first.

Apparently if you have an electric vehicle, having a battery is good for charging overnight ....... but I don't.
I don't have an electric car either but i spent £32k putting in a Heat pump, hot water tank, solar panels and battery between Jan and April this year. Hard to know how quickly it will pay back because a lot will depend on what the government do with support for the energy crisis but if they were to do nothing the savings at the moment are about £5k per year and from October that would shoot up to £9k a year. The battery is a big part of the savings.

I was using 24,000kwh of gas with a combi boiler, about 90% efficient so heat rating of 21,600kwh. The shrinking of the gap between gas and electricity unit prices means my heat pump with a SCOP of 4.5 is now cheaper to run than the old boiler for the same output. Due to government incentives (now stopped) i get about £1.6k a year for having it installed. It will take about 6,000kwh to run it for the 12m I am expecting

I have 19 panels in the PV array and they are likely to produce about 7,000kwh per year and I have a 13.5kw Tesla battery installed. The battery allows me to access the Tesla plan with Octopus. That means Octopus/Tesla can put energy onto and take from my battery as they wish. To do this they offer a balanced tariff, they pay me the same for what they take as what they charge me for what i take from the grid. Currently that is 11.7p/kwh.

All in my bills under a previous fix were £186 a month. They would be about £400 a month now and likely to go close to £900 a month with the expected cap increase and in reality I am receiving a small amount each year rather than paying for any energy. Of course a lot of that is 'luck' as Putin invaded but even prior to that the expected payback period was about 8 years.

Certainly agree with the other comments about not doing a deal whereby they put panels on for free because they then lease your roof, that has been a disaster for people. I would have said don't borrow the money because the interest wipes out the benefit but that may not be the case anymore - not done the sums again on that one.

Have an installer I would recommend in Hampshire and surrounding areas and one nationally who dropped out as the other is their local installer. Both MCS certified which IMO is crucial.
Old 25-08-2022, 03:03 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
My old man got a phone call last night saying that they will get a grant to cover the entire install of PV. Sounds like a scam, anyone disagree?
Old 25-08-2022, 03:14 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
My old man got a phone call last night saying that they will get a grant to cover the entire install of PV. Sounds like a scam, anyone disagree?
Depends who from and where he lives and what the deal is.

A local council near here will put up to £10k worth of solar on for any household with a total income less than £30k.

Otherwise it might be one of these offers where they put it on for free, you use whatever you do and they sell the rest and in the small print they have your roof leasehold for 25 years.
Old 25-08-2022, 03:16 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Sounds like the pensioners are getting the best deals then again.
Old 25-08-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Sounds like the pensioners are getting the best deals then again.
Really?

The biggest issue with it is that you tend to use most electricity when the sun is not shining so for an 'average' house with 2,900kw/h consumption, how much of that will they save by having solar panels and no storage?
Old 25-08-2022, 06:09 PM

Eagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is here
I bought house with 16 solar panels in 2019. When the documentation came through from the solicitor during the purchase we discovered the owners had sold the freehold on their roof for a period of 20 years to a company that installed the panels in return for 'free energy' during the day. Obvs that company was then taking a big margin through the feed in tariff. In order to sell the house to us they had to pay out £20k to return the freehold.

The upshot is that I earn a lot of money from the panels now. £1100 in the last quarter.
Old 25-08-2022, 07:42 PM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Really?

The biggest issue with it is that you tend to use most electricity when the sun is not shining so for an 'average' house with 2,900kw/h consumption, how much of that will they save by having solar panels and no storage?
The simple answer is storage. With the increasing likelyhood of power cuts it will solve 2 problems.
Old 25-08-2022, 07:49 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Really?

Might change with global warming. My big electricity bills are July and August.
Old 25-08-2022, 08:18 PM
Señor Coconut

Neil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Really?

As a solar panel owner for 9 years with 16 panels (no storage), I reckon the 'average' house on an average electric rate would save about £800-£1200 / year with 16 panels. If electric bills increase, then savings will rise accordingly.

Old 25-08-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil 154 View Post
As a solar panel owner for 9 years with 16 panels (no storage), I reckon the 'average' house on an average electric rate would save about £800-£1200 / year with 16 panels. If electric bills increase, then savings will rise accordingly.
Depends on the overall size of the system. Panels are now about 400w each so an 8 panel system would be 3.2k. When you get above 9 (3.6k) you need permission from the electric network provider to proceed.

A 3.2k system would provide about 3-3,500kwh per year if properly designed.
Old 25-08-2022, 11:01 PM
Señor Coconut

Quote:
Depends on the overall size of the system. Panels are now about 400w each so an 8 panel system would be 3.2k. When you get above 9 (3.6k) you need permission from the electric network provider to proceed.

A 3.2k system would provide about 3-3,500kwh per year if properly designed.
That's interesting. I have 4kw array, so new panels are about twice as efficient as mine. Eight panels could go onto a most normal-sized house roofs which means it's got to be viable for majority of property owners with some cash.

Old 25-08-2022, 11:38 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
4 years payback now according to the iNewspaper. The challenge is finding the cash and identifying a good installer that can fit you in and that can source the scarce components. To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by stamford triumph; 25-08-2022 at 11:42 PM.
Old 25-08-2022, 11:52 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Quote:
Really?

No you div, they qualify for the free stuff duh
Old 26-08-2022, 12:23 AM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Might change with global warming. My big electricity bills are July and August.
I had something like that with the first flat I bought. In the middle of a block so never needed heating in the winter but it got so hot in the summer I had to buy aircon and run it a lot.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.