Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 05-08-2022, 08:55 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
1987/88 season - game by game

He we go again...this year, it's a match by match account of the 1987/88 season.

One of my favourite seasons following Palace despite nothing to show at the end of it. Having a quick scan through all the games again I realise that some of my favourite memories attending Palace games happened in this very season.

It was packed full of incidents, controversy, some cracking games and goals, goals, goals!, and was the season the Wright and Bright partnership exploded into action and we knew we had something very special on our hands.

Just to set the scene, a little recap.

The previous season 86/87, we just missed out on the very first play off’s on the last day, after losing 3-0 away at Hull, finishing in 6th place.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

In the summer Coppell changed things up with a couple of signings and two surprising departures. Out went Kevin ‘ticker’ Taylor to Scunthorpe; a McArthur-esque influence on the side and certainly a fans favourite; apparently wanted to move up north at the insistence of his wife.

And another hero of that time to many, Alan Irvine, also headed back to his homeland over the border, to Dundee United.

Two unknown youngsters were brought in as like for like replacements. 22 year old wide player Neil Redfearn, for £85,000 from Doncaster. And for even cheaper, a 23 year old midfielder called Geoff Thomas, for £55,000 from Crewe.

After two top 6 finishes, it certainly felt we would be in the mix for promotion again, although it turned out to be one of the most competitive divisions in a long time. The likes of Aston Villa surprisingly dropping down from the top flight didn't make it easier. Remember this was just 5 years after they'd won the European Cup. Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Leeds and Man City also looked to be strong contenders, and as it panned out, a couple of other teams came through too in Bradford and Millwall to really shake things up.

Still got 10 days before kick off away to Huddersfield, but welcome to the 1987/88 season....

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 05-08-2022, 09:56 AM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Nice one Bubbs , was at the Hull game on the last day of the previous season and went nearly home and away 87/88 , great thread and some fantastic memories from back then .
Old 05-08-2022, 10:02 AM

Dario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDario_G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Amazing Bubbs - Great work

The loss of Irvine and Taylor felt significant at the time although they were both clearly heading towards the twilight of their careers.

My main memory of the pre-season was a 2-0 home defeat to Watford. I only remember that as I was mascot that day! Got some pics stashed away somewhere of me standing between Jim Cannon and Tony Coton before kick-off. They were big lads
Old 05-08-2022, 10:06 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
I thought Taylor didn’t leave until a month or two into the season.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:15 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
I thought Taylor didn’t leave until a month or two into the season.
Think you may be right as he’s in the team photo. Sure I’ve got it recorded in my scrapbook and we’ll come to it.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:31 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Love it...I also have very positive memories of this season, after the gradual transition of the previous two seasons this was the time when things started to click and we really moved up a level. My memory is that we were in a strong position near the top of the table for much of the season but faded away towards the end, hence a sense of real frustration that we didn't reach the play-offs. But I might be wrong and will await the weekly reveals to confirm. As Bubbs said, the goals really flew in over the course of the season, both for and against.

Taylor was one of our best and most important players during that Coppell transitional phase and it felt like a blow to be losing him, he had started to knit things together for us in midfield really effectively. I had never heard of either Neil Redfearn or Geoff Thomas but by now was trusting that Coppell knew what he was doing when it came to seeking out lower league bargains. I do remember that photoshoot though, was one of the 'glamour girls' our very own delightful Ms Novello Noades? No idea who the other one is.

As usual, for my entertainment if no-one else's, I will run down the top ten movers and shakers from the weekly charts as we progress through the season. Having not at this stage checked any of the data, my recollection is that this era saw a developing battle between two very different genres of music - one the one hand rock was ruling the world for a brief period with the likes of Def Leppard, Whitesnake and Marillion regularly crashing into the top ten. On the other we had the emergence of the PWL production line of cheap and disposable pop, spearheaded by Kylie and Jason.

Edit: And of course Rick Astley!

Last edited by Bipe; 05-08-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:07 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Excellent work, bubbs.

I don't think I attended many games this season as I was working most Saturdays but I shall be following with interest.

The only note I can add is that I see Dean Greygoose there in the team photo. My son is a 'keeper & I had some discussion recently with Dean about some GK coaching. It led to nothing in the end but that is what Dean is currently up to, as well as being manager of local (to me) side Godmanchester Rovers.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:08 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I was working in the warehouse at Rough Trade distribution, I remember us having a slew of big hits with House bangers, and generally having to work like a bastard to get all the records out the door.
I also remember it as a very optimistic time at Palace - though I was a big fan of Ticker Taylor, I really loved Andy Gray. What a player.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:10 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I think we also adopted a slightly more pragmatic style this season, we’d been better to watch the year before (playing more on the ground, at any rate).
Old 05-08-2022, 11:41 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I was working in the warehouse at Rough Trade distribution, I remember us having a slew of big hits with House bangers, and generally having to work like a bastard to get all the records out the door.
I also remember it as a very optimistic time at Palace - though I was a big fan of Ticker Taylor, I really loved Andy Gray. What a player.
As you may recall, Gray buggered off to Villa under acrimonious circumstances early on in the season and was roundly abused when he rocked up for them at Selhurst a few weeks later.

More spoilers in due course...
Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Was it also when he was heavily linked with a move to dirty Leeds - who then showed up at Selhurst and made monkey noises at all out black players for the whole game?
I was drinking with some of their fans afterwards who were setting up an action group to fight racism at Elland Road - which was eventually successful, I think.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Sorry, Bubbs.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:50 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Superb. Is that two of the Crystals’ mums with Thomas and Redfearn?
Old 05-08-2022, 11:51 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Nans, even?
Old 05-08-2022, 12:06 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Dunno but I reckon Geoff got first dibs.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:14 PM
moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Dunno but I reckon Geoff got first dibs.
Reckon he went box to box?
Old 05-08-2022, 12:16 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Notoriously.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:24 PM

Pre season saw us in Sweden in late July/early August, playing six games and winning them all: 5-0, 3-0, 8-0, 6-1, 8-0, 1-0.

The weekend before the start of the season we played our final friendly, a testimonial for Groundsman Len Chatterton, who had retired due to illness. 1st Division Watford managed by Dave Bassett were our opponents. We lost 2-1.

I have no memory of this game, and I’d always attend the Selhurst friendlies, so I’m pretty sure I was away on holiday in Manchester visiting the relatives. Yes, my parents spoiled me rotten as a kid.

Anyway, I think my mate went and got me a programme.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:19 PM

jimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimos_uk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That yellow kit was the first ever Palace kit I had - given to me by my grandad (who I have posted about before). Given how incredibly loud it was and being a child, I wore it until it fell apart! Still took me a year before my at the time very anti-football fan father could be convinced to take me to Selhurst. I don't blame the embarrassment of me wearing that kit for it. Perhaps I should.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:24 PM

November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!November85 has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Was this the first season back in red and blue stripes? It was a bit of a shock to me as a kid as I'd only been coming for a couple of years and the sash was all I knew.