Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: Should we extend his contract now?
Yes, I want him to stay. Time to open talks. 107 69.93%
Not just yet, I am not convinced. 36 23.53%
I think it is better not to renew/let it expire at the end of next season. 5 3.27%
5 3.27%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-09-2022, 01:41 PM
Vast slug.

Latvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is here
Time to give Vieira a new contract?

As we are almost half way through his current contract which expires at the end of the 23/24 season, do we think it is time for us to extend his contract and the rest of the coaching set-up?

Is the jury still out for many of us?

Last edited by Latvian; 21-09-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 21-09-2022, 02:08 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian View Post
As we are almost half way through his current contract which expires at the end of the 23/24 season, do we think it is time for us to extend his contract and the rest of the coaching set-up?

Difficult to say. We do play more attractive football now but it was hard not to, having brought Eze and Olise recently and having gone through a previous near-decade where our midfield has been very basic and having had managers like Pulis, Colin and Hodgson.

Yet we have brought superbly since Vieira arrived, ( some of that must be down to PV's input ) and the players have brought into the project. The man has an enormous stature in the game, must be an excellent recruiting sergeant for us and there is a feel-good feeling, at least until we let the midfield disintegrate over the summer.

We will probably struggle this season because of our failures over the summer but likely stay up, provided we keep both Doucoure and Jimmy fit. We won't be able to judge PV's ability to progress the team and playing ethos, with the midfield he's been given but keeping us up will be proof enough that he is a capable manager. At least the camp seems in good spirits under Vieira and we all know the pulling power of his stature.

It's a tentative 'yes' from me to offering him an extension to his contract at the end of the season, provided we survive.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:12 PM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Wont make any difference in keeping him imo. The only good it would do is, if we are successful, we get a bit more compensation if a big club comes calling. Downside is much bigger pay off if we go downhill.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:14 PM

alexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:

A yes from me. Ultimately heís improved the way we play, not perfect yet but we do need to give him another midfielder that will compliment Doucoure. The squad seem in very good spirits and buy into what heís doing. PV himself despite all the trophies and successes he has had has bought into what Palace is all about. He is a very humble man despite his stature in the game. I like him a lot and Iím pretty sure that SP and co do as well.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:19 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
I'd think so - it will be harder to get players in for the project if we get to the point the manager has 15 months or less left on his deal.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:28 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Start talking in January, I reckon.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:36 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
No rush for me yet, see where we are after January window has passed. We have some people on here who are talking like we are one of the worst teams in the league and are in a relegation scrap FFS. Let's make sure they are definitely wrong before extending him!
Old 21-09-2022, 03:57 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Don't see point at moment we would have to give him a pay rise and from manages point of veiw if a better job was offered and he wanted to leave one way or enougher he would like potter did .if we did give him say extra 18 months and things didn't go well we would have to pay a lot to sack him maybe review next summer where we finish in table
Old 21-09-2022, 04:19 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
The World Cup break seems like a sensible time to come back to this question. We’ll have a much better impression of this team by then.
Old 21-09-2022, 05:19 PM

Gregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Would like him to stay, but I think he's been let down by recruitment this summer. Hopefully we can address that in January and push on in the 2nd half of the campaign.
Old 21-09-2022, 05:39 PM

Danny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregz41 View Post
Would like him to stay, but I think he's been let down by recruitment this summer. Hopefully we can address that in January and push on in the 2nd half of the campaign.
Yep. Some real gritty performances this season on a paper thin squad.
Old 21-09-2022, 05:42 PM
Vast slug.

Latvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is here
I think they'll be a good few changes of manager in the top flight as soon as the break for Qatar begins.

It is a tough call, all seems rosy and I think he'll do well here in the long term but if he is tied down to a longer deal and things turn a bit sour then you may end up in a Brendan Rodgers too expensive to sack style scenario.
Old 21-09-2022, 07:02 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
I believe there have already been some talks about a new deal in the summer.

What the outcome was or if its still going on I don't know.
Old 21-09-2022, 07:19 PM

Sirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSirmatt : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Really like big Pat and seems to have great rapport with the players,feel he's still learning on the job and hasn't found the right blend for current personal.But like the way he hasn't thrown his toys out of his pram when it was obvious we needed strengthening in the summer.He seems content to want to better the players we have which should be commended in modern day football where managers will throw 35mill at any tom dick or Harry if given the funds .How we would love that cash to splash if the right player came along.My main worry is his second season at Nice where it went tits up but as I said he's learning all the time and has an excellent team behind him and our transfer policy is where it should be for a club our size and every group under the first team are thriving..Imo PV is the perfect profile to keep us going in the right direction..
Old 21-09-2022, 07:29 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I really like Pat and love him being at our club, but I would start it from January onwards discussing the extension. I also thinks he loves being here and really appreciates the club given him his chance - Itís a somewhat perfect fit. Not sure thereís any need now though. Thereís still a really good feel at the club.

That said, the thought of losing him and going back to the Roy style days scares me. Whilst I appreciate the job Roy did, I REALLY donít want to go back to those days and I doubt anyone at the club does.
Old 21-09-2022, 07:39 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Is PV the long term future or does any else wonder (like me) that Paddy McCarthy is being reared to be head coach/manager in a few years. I say that as he has basically managed a lot of the same set of players in the u16, u18s and now the u21s and when they get to the first team age will he be the person to manage them?
Old 21-09-2022, 07:43 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Is PV the long term future or does any else wonder (like me) that Paddy McCarthy is being reared to be head coach/manager in a few years. I say that as he has basically managed a lot of the same set of players in the u16, u18s and now the u21s and when they get to the first team age will he be the person to manage them?
That's quite a leap.

How many youngsters make it into the senior team?

How much management experience at a senior level does Paddy have let alone at Prem level? None.

So no, no chance - maybe like Derry a coach, but not manager.
Old 21-09-2022, 08:14 PM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Not saying im not convinced one way or the other but shortly after Xmas when we know a bit more.
Old 21-09-2022, 08:20 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Think it's romantic idea but should imagine pm would have to leave palace to be a number one if palace are still in the prem to get experience but there must have been a few over the years who have become manager in top division promoted within club Liverpool use to do it .
Old 21-09-2022, 08:20 PM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Don’t know. Unsure as to whether the lack of transfers was down to him or the powers above. Also, does he know what he wants? Want to see clear direction from him this season, a settled XI that is balanced and works well. He hasnt found it yet imho. And he has a reputation for too much tinkering after promising starts at previous clubs. That said, I think he is highly promising, and tactically has got a lot right as well as a little bit wrong.