Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 23-09-2022, 11:43 AM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
RIP Hilary Mantel

BBC News - Wolf Hall author Hilary Mantel dies at 70
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I don't know whether she was suffering from any illness, it seems a bolt from the blue. I loved the Wolf Hall trilogy. I know this seems selfish and callous, but I just hope they still follow through with the TV adaptation of the last installment.
Old 23-09-2022, 11:46 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
RIP Hilary Mantel

Loved all of her books.

[Edit ; already a thread. Soz]

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 23-09-2022, 11:47 AM

Johnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is here
Blimey, this is a bit of a shocker.
She always looked unhealthy (thought it was just thyroid problems) but a fantastic author, RIP
Old 23-09-2022, 11:48 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Oh wow, really?
Those books are brilliant. RIP.
Old 23-09-2022, 12:00 PM

Sam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is hereSam Spade Sam the man is here
RIP. Her Wolf Hall trilogy was a masterpiece of historical literature. She had an extraordinarily imaginative mind and often an original perspective. Her short story “The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher” was widely criticised by those who had (presumably) read it and completely missed the point.
Old 23-09-2022, 12:50 PM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
I’m in the middle of the mirror and the light at the moment. Utterly brilliant. Very sad news
Old 23-09-2022, 12:51 PM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
V sad… brilliant author.
Old 23-09-2022, 01:01 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
I’m in the middle of the mirror and the light at the moment. Utterly brilliant. Very sad news
Yeah, completely. It took me ages (weeks?) to read the 1st 200 or so pages of Wolf Hall but once I'd broken the back of the book, I think I read the last 150 pages in a single sitting & then told everyone I knew that they had to read it.

I read Bring Up the Bodies and The Mirror & the Light much quicker. I think I have an unread copy of A Place of Greater Safety somewhere...

I also saw the theatre productions of the Cromwell trilogy - they were amazing, too. I'm sure I posted about them on the Theatre thread.
Old 23-09-2022, 04:55 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
RIP. Read and enjoyed the first two books of the Wolf Hall trilogy and the TV series.
Old 23-09-2022, 06:03 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Not my bag at all.
However, the Mrs enjoyed them, and I did like her as a person, admittedly only from what I've read and seen from her interviews.
Old 24-09-2022, 01:22 AM

Skin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is here
I'm a fan of Historical Fiction so enjoyed the Cromwell trilogy greatly and her earlier novel set in the French Revolution called A Place of Greater Safety is really good too.

After quickly producing two excellent books about Cromwell you can tell she struggled to get to the end of The Mirror and the Light, perhaps poor health or writer's block or maybe she was reluctant to get to the subject of the book's demise.

She was also a good essayist I liked this one she wrote about Kate Middleton and the royals.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 24-09-2022, 06:40 AM

JimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is hereJimmyAG Sam the man is here
R.I.P.

Saw the TV adaptation of Wolf Hall (Mark Rylance?). Fantastic.
Old 24-09-2022, 07:29 AM

E.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietE.H.Plimmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Not my bag at all.
However, the Mrs enjoyed them, and I did like her as a person, admittedly only from what I've read and seen from her interviews.
Would the introduction of some 1-to-1 maybe rekindle your liking for your Mrs? Worth a shot.
Old 24-09-2022, 11:18 AM

Eagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagles9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I loved the books and the TV show, excellent.

It sounds churlish but some of the obituaries were over the top with one columnist claiming she she reinvented historial drama. I think that is a claim too much there are lots of excellent well researched historical fiction out there written before her time all she did was follow that and did it very well.

Anyway RIP.